The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) was initiated by the Australian Government for Australians with a disability, including people with intellectual, physical, sensory and psycho-social disabilities.
- Check if you are eligible https://www.ndis.gov.au/applying-access-ndis/am-i-eligible
- Call NDIS on 1800 800 110 to request an Access Request Form. More information can be found https://www.ndis.gov.au/people-with-disability/access-requirements/completing-your-access-request-form
- If you already get disability services, you do not need to contact NDIS to make an Access Request. They will contact you when the NDIS is available in your area.
- Once you call and give them your details, they will send a form to you. There are sections that need to be completed by your Doctors so you may need to make appointments with the relevant health professionals. This form needs to be returned so they can access whether you will become a participant in the NDIS.
- If you are accepted, someone from NDIS will contact you to arrange a planning meeting.
- While you are waiting to hear back from them, get ready for your planning meeting, think about your immediate support needs and your current and future goals. There are resources available online at https://www.ndis.gov.au/people-disability/fact-sheets-and-publications.html